TITLE: PART-TIME LIBRARY ASSISTANT – 2
Reports to: Circulation Supervisor, Youth Services Coordinator or Public Services Librarian
Hours: Position not to exceed 19.5 hours per week.
Benefits: Position does not receive company Health and Retirement Benefits
POSITION SUMMARY: Assist patrons with information needs and locating circulating materials. Works with other team members to ensure accurate and prompt service to Dodge City Public Library patrons.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform duties required to assist in maintain the circulation desk
- Perform daily tasks, i.e. stamping newspapers, straightening shelves, shelving materials, answer phones, collect fines, etc.
- Understand and operate the automated circulation system
- Assist patrons in locating and circulating materials
- Register new patrons
- Assist with library programs as needed.
- Other duties assigned as needed.
- Attend workshops/training as needed
- Attend and participate in DCPL Staff and committee meetings as appropriate
- Keep statistics and prepare reports/presentations as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor, public services librarian and/or director
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Customer service and/or library experience preferred.
SKILLS: Must be able to:
- Establish & maintain effective and courteous working relations with library patrons and staff
- Stay calm under pressure
- Operate office machines and computers
- Follow instructions and work without supervision
- Learn the applications of technology for user service
PROBLEM SOLVING: Be able to handle questions and problems that arise at the circulation desk with patrons and/or staff. Attempt to solve problems independently when appropriate.
DECISION MAKING: Ability to analyze and make decisions concerning secondary responsibilities and the circulation desk, and be able to understand and uphold DCPL policies.
ATTITUDE: Must have a calm nature with the ability to handle large numbers of public requests and patrons in an efficient and gracious manner. Ability to work effectively with coworkers and administration with an attitude of loyalty and teamwork.
- Lift and carry 25 lb loads over 100 ft multiple times in a period of time
- Stand for three-hour periods
- Carry a two lb load overhead to a height of 6 ft
- Bend, stoop and kneel to floor multiple times in a three-hour period
- Carry 32 lb audio-visual equipment 25 ft
- Hear patrons in conversational voice at a distance of 10 feet
- Speak clearly and audibly to patrons standing at a 10 ft distance
NOTE: The job description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not all-inclusive of every task or responsibility. The Dodge City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.