TITLE: LIBRARY ASSISTANT FULL-TIME
Reports to: Circulation Supervisor or Youth Services Coordinator
FSLA: Non-exempt (hourly)
Hours: 40 hours per week
JOB SUMMARY: Assist patrons with information needs and locating circulating materials. Works with other team members to ensure accurate and prompt service to Dodge City Public Library patrons.
- PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform circulation and collection maintenance duties such as stamping newspapers, straightening shelves, shelving materials, answer phones, collect fines, etc.
- Understand and operate the automated circulation system.
- Assist patrons in locating and circulating materials.
- Assist patrons with basic computer functions.
- Facilitate programs and assist other staff with programs as assigned.
- Contribute to the achievement of the goals and mission of the library.
- Attend workshops or trainings as needed.
- Attend and participate in DCPL staff and committee meetings as appropriate.
- Keep statistics and prepare reports or presentations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor, department supervisor or the director.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or equivalent required. Customer service experience preferred.
SKILLS: Must be able to:
- Establish, maintain effective and courteous working relations with library patrons and staff.
- Operate office machines and computers.
- Follow instructions and work without supervision.
- Learn the applications of technology for patron service.
- Basic computer skills including knowledge of MS office software and ability to learn the library circulation system.
Updated: June 2018